Today I’m sharing one of my favorite games to build math fluency. If you’re not familiar with Shut The Box and it’s many variations, you are going to want to tune in!
- 4 + 5
- 6 + 3
- 2 + 3 + 4
- you get the idea
- Give each student 3 strikes before being considered “out”
- Students will just lose their turn, and will try again on their next roll
- Use a deck of ten frame cards with representations of numbers 1-10 instead of dice. Have students match the card they flip to their game board.
- Use a spinner with numbers 1-10. Have students match their spin to the ten frame representation on their cards.
2. They may use any combination of numbers with addition AND/OR subtraction to create that sum. If a player rolls a 14
- 10 + 6 – 2
- 3 + 4 + 7
- you get the idea!
3. Player 2 continues in the same fashion as in previously explained version